The winners for the 2023 Rawlings Gold Glove were revealed Sunday by Major League Baseball. The Glove Glove award has been around since 1957, with the winner being the best defensive player at each position in each league. It was initially an MLB-wide honor, but in 1958 it was divided up into AL and NL. There was a stretch where there were simply three outfielders per league instead of splitting up the three specific outfield positions, but now it's back to left field, center field and right field, respectively, in each league.
Winners are voted on by coaches and managers, who are forbidden from voting for their own players. That's 75 percent of the decision with the remaining 25 percent being statistical (provided by SABR).
As has become customary in recent years, a few weeks ago MLB released "finalists" for the award. It should be noted that the voting was already complete, the finalists are simply the top three finishers at each position.
Onto the winners!
Pitcher: José Berríos, Blue Jays
Berríos wins his first Gold Glove.
The first-time World Series champ is now a first-time Gold Glove winner.
First base: Nathaniel Lowe, Rangers
Lowe, fresh off winning a World Series title, now has his first career Gold Glove.
Second base: Andrés Giménez, Guardians
It's the second straight Gold Glove for Giménez.
Third base: Matt Chapman, Blue Jays
This is the fourth Gold Glove for Chapman and he's already got two Platinum Gloves to go with them.
Other finalists: Alex Bregman, Astros; José Ramírez, Guardians
Shortstop: Anthony Volpe, Yankees
The rookie tops two established stars for his first (of many?) Gold Glove. He's the first Yankees rookie to ever win the Gold Glove.
Left field: Steven Kwan, Guardians
The Guardians' youngster has won a Gold Glove in each of his two seasons.
Center field: Kevin Kiermaier, Blue Jays
This is Kiermaier's fourth win. It's his first with the Jays and first since 2019.
Right field: Adolis García, Rangers
García raised his profile in the playoffs with his power at the plate, but he's also excellent in the field and wins his first Gold Glove.
Utility: Mauricio Dubón, Astros
Dubón wins his first Gold Glove and the only one for the Astros this season.
Wheeler is yet another first-time winner.
The backstop we just saw in the World Series takes home his first Gold Glove.
First base: Christian Walker, Diamondbacks
This marks the second straight Gold Glove for the first baseman of the NL champs.
It is the first career Gold Glove for Hoerner.
Third base: Ke'Bryan Hayes, Pirates
This is the first career Gold Glove for Hayes and, very notably, Nolan Arenado.by
Shortstop: Dansby Swanson, Cubs
It's a second straight Gold Glove to Swanson, meaning the Cubs' double play combo takes the hardware at both positions.
Left field: Ian Happ, Cubs
Here's another case where it's the second career and second straight win.
Center field: Brenton Doyle, Rockies
The rookie who covers seemingly miles in Coors Field's spacious outfield wins his first Gold Glove.
Right field: Fernando Tatis Jr., Padres
The man who emerged as a superstar shortstop has his first Gold Glove during his first full season in right field.
Utility: Ha-Seong Kim, Padres
After missing out at second base, Kim wins his first Gold Glove here at the utility spot.