Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer is one of the top prospects, regardless of position, as we look ahead to the 2023 NFL Draft. A five-star recruit out of Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky, Mayer went on to become the best tight end in Notre Dame history in just three seasons, setting the all-time marks at his position for catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. He's an all-around tight end without a true weakness, which will make him very desirable come April's draft.
Below is a comprehensive draft profile for Mayer, including his high school and college accolades, scouting report and NFL prospect outlook.
Note: This profile will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Age: 21
- Hometown: Independence, Kentucky
- Interesting fact: First Notre Dame tight end to earn consensus All-American honors since Ken MacAfee in 1977
CBS prospect ranking
Position: No. 1 TE | Overall: No. 21 | Rating: 88.93 (Long-term starter)
CBS Sports mock drafts
- Ryan Wilson: N/A
- Chris Trapasso: N/A
- Josh Edwards: Packers (No. 15)
- Pete Prisco: Packers (No. 15)
- Will Brinson: Cowboys (No. 26)
- Kyle Stackpole: Packers (No. 15)
Expected draft position (via Grinding the Mocks): 21.6 (TE2)
To check out all of CBSSports.com's most recent mock drafts, click here.
Pick Six Newsletter
Crafted By The Best NFL Experts
Get the day's big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
There was an error processing your subscription.
NFL combine measurements/results
Height: 6-4 1/2" | Weight: 249 lbs | Arms: 31 5/8'' | Hands: 9 1/2"
- 40-yard dash: 4.70 seconds
- Broad jump: 9 feet, 10 inches
- Vertical jump: 32.5 inches
Michael Mayer is a consistent performer who does a great job of making contested catches out of his frame. He lacks top-end athleticism and struggles to create separation as a result. Mayer is solid as a run blocker and in pass protection. He turns upfield quickly but does not have the breakaway speed to churn yards after the catch. Mayer is a bear for a defensive back to bring down in open space.
- Consistent producer dating to his freshman season
- Great size to make contested catches and sustain blocks
- No wasted movement
- Blocks with good leverage and drives his feet on contact in the run game
- Soft hands to snatch passes away from his frame
- Average-to-below average quickness and athleticism
- Can get off the ball faster
- Does not create much separation
- Turns upfield quicky post-catch but does not have breakaway speed
- 2022: First-team All-American (AP, Walter Camp Foundation, The Sporting News)
- 2022: Second-team All-American (FWAA, AFCA)
- 2021: Third-team All-American (AP)
- 2020: Freshman All-America First Team (247Sports, The Athletic)
- 2020: All-ACC third team
- Career: School's all-time leader at tight end in catches (180), receiving yards (2,099) and receiving touchdowns (18)
- 2022: Single-season school record for receiving touchdowns (nine) by a tight end
- 2021: Single-season school record for receptions (71) and receiving yards (840) by a tight end
- 2021 (vs. Florida State): Tied school record for most receptions in a game by a tight end (nine)
High school: Covington Catholic (Alexandria, Kentucky)
Composite Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (0.9833)
- National: 32 | TE: 2 | Kentucky: 1
High school accolades: Second-team All-American (MaxPreps), first-team junior All-American (MaxPreps), Gatorade Kentucky Football Player of the Year, Kentucky Football Coaches Association Mr. Football, 5A District 5 Player of the Year, All-American Bowl selection
Check out Michael Mayer's full 247Sports profile, here. For his MaxPreps profile, click here.