Team USA basketball suffered a surprise defeat to Lithuania on Sunday in the final game of the group stage, and fell to 4-1 overall in the tournament. Minnesota Timberwolves star Anthony Edwards poured in 35 points, but Lithuania's 3-point shooting (14-of-25) and dominant performance on the glass, which led to 17 second-chance points, proved to be too much.
Despite the loss, Team USA is on to the quarterfinals, which they qualified for on Friday with their win over Montenegro. Thus, the matchup versus Lithuania was just for seeding purposes, and as it turned out, losing was for the best. Team USA is on the easier half of the bracket, and will face Italy in the quarterfinals, and, assuming they win, either Germany or Latvia in the semis.
In addition, because they will now finish as a top-two team from the Americas region (along with Canada), Team USA has earned an automatic berth to the 2024 Paris Olympics.
Here's everything you need to know about Team USA's FIBA World Cup schedule..
Team USA World Cup schedule
All times Eastern
Saturday, Aug. 26
Team USA 99, New Zealand 72
Monday, Aug. 28
Team USA 109, Greece 81
Wednesday, Aug. 30
Friday, Sept. 1
Sunday, Sept. 3
Tuesday, Sept. 5
Team USA vs. Italy, 8:40 a.m., ESPN 2, fubo (try for free)
Team USA 2023 World Cup roster
- Paolo Banchero, Orlando Magic
- Mikal Bridges, Brooklyn Nets
- Jalen Brunson, New York Knicks
- Anthony Edwards, Minnesota Timberwolves
- Tyrese Haliburton, Indiana Pacers
- Josh Hart, New York Knicks
- Brandon Ingram, New Orleans Pelicans
- Jaren Jackson Jr., Memphis Grizzlies
- Cameron Johnson, Brooklyn Nets
- Walker Kessler, Utah Jazz
- Bobby Portis, Milwaukee Bucks
- Austin Reaves, Los Angeles Lakers